Basic Buttercream Frosting
This is the basic, tried and true frosting that I have used for too many years to count. It has lots of options that I've listed below.
• ½ cup vegetable shortening (or 1/2 stick)
• ½ cup butter (or 1 stick)
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 1 lb confectioners sugar, sifted
• 2 Tbsp milk (will need to add more)
1. Thoroughly cream butter and shortening. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl often. Icing will appear dry after adding all the sugar. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. You WILL need to add more milk, up to 2 tablespoons. I let it beat for a little bit each time after adding milk. To be honest, I usually turn the mixer to a higher speed because I like mine frosting really light and fluffy.
2. Keep icing covered with a damp cloth while using or refrigerate in an airtight container. Can be stored up to two weeks. Beat again before using. Makes about 3 cups, enough for our Yellow Butter Layer Cake.
• Substitute all shortening (1 stick), clear vanilla and 1 tsp butter flavoring for white icing.
• Or you can just use the "butter" shortening with vanilla.
• Use almond flavoring (I use Disaronno Amaretto liqueur) instead of vanilla.
• Coffee liqueur (like Kahlua) makes a good flavoring for our Basic Chocolate Cake.
• Another alternative is candy flavorings.
• Add 1 or 2 drops (not too much) of peppermint oil.
• It is really important to sift the confectioner' sugar, makes for a better all-round frosting.
• Some liqueur comes in mini bottles, may have better flavor and might be cheaper than the extracts.
• If you want to make your own vanilla, check out our recipe here.
basic butterbream frosting, buttercream frosting
Basic Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Prepare our Basic Buttercream, then add ¾ cup cocoa or 3-1 oz unsweetened chocolate squares (preferred), melted
and cooled. If using the cocoa, you may need to add more milk, a little at a time, until it reaches the right consistency.
chocolate frosting, chocolate buttercream frosting