Southern Crockpot BBQ
This is a super simple recipe for pulled pork that even a beginner can pull off if they have the ingredients. FYI, a small crockpot will not work for this recipe.
• 2 medium onions, quartered
• 2 Tbsp brown sugar, light or dark
• 1 Tbsp paprika, smoked if you have it
• 2 tsp salt
• ½ tsp black pepper
• ½ tsp cumin
• 1 pork butt, 4-6 lb
• 1 cup apple cider vinegar
• ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
• 1-½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes or to taste (but don't leave out)
• 1 Tbsp sugar
• ½ tsp ground cumin
• ½ tsp dry mustard
• ½ tsp granulated garlic
• ½ tsp cayenne pepper or to taste
You will need a large crockpot. The crockpot liners work well for this.
1. Place quartered onions in bottom of crock pot.
2. Blend together the brown sugar, paprika, salt, cumin and
pepper; rub thoroughly over roast. Place roast in crockpot.
3. Combine the remaining ingredients and mix well. Drizzle
about a third of the mixture over the pork, refrigerate the
4. Cook pork on low for 8-10 hours. Internal temperature should
be a minimum of 165°F. I like my temperature to be
a little bit higher.
5. Remove meat and discard onions. Shred meat to your
personal preference. You can use the vinegar mixture as is
or mix with some of the juices from the crock pot
(skimmed of fat) to serve on the side. Keep refrigerated when not using.
• I like to use a flip top bottle or a clean soy sauce bottle
to serve the extra sauce as it needs to be continually mixed.
• A crockpot liner will make cleanup a breeze.
southern crockpot BBQ, southern BBQ