Yellow Layer Cake
This is my go to recipe for a yellow cake. Not only will it make 3 layers but it has a cup of butter and 4 eggs!
• 2½ cups sifted all-purpose flour (sift before measuring then scoop and level off)
• 2½ tsp fresh baking powder
• ½ tsp salt
• 1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks, preferably unsalted)
• 2 cups granulated sugar
• 4 eggs
• 1 cup milk
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 3 round pans (8 0r 9-inch).
1. Sift flour with baking powder and salt. In large bowl of mixer, at high speed, beat butter and sugar until light. Add 4 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
2. Continue beating, occasionally scraping bowl, until fluffy-about 2 minutes. Beat in flour mixture (one fourth) alternately with milk (one third) beginning and ending with flour. Add vanilla and beat until smooth-about 1 minute.
3. Pour into prepared pans; tap on counter a couple of times then bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until surface springs back when gently pressed with finger. Cool in pans on wire racks for about 10 minutes, remove from pans then cool again on racks.
To bake the cake layers ahead of time, lay a large piece of plastic wrap over the cake pan (you don't have to wash it) then place a cake layer, right side up, in the pan and fold over the plastic wrap. Do this with each layer, then place them in the fridge for up to 2 days. Makes it easier to fill and frost too!
yellow layer cake, yellow cake, yellow butter cake