Our Best Southern Potato Salad
This is so good to serve for reunions, church picnics, BBQs or just a cook-out at home.
• 5 large or 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed (¾-inch dice)
• 6 hard-boiled eggs, roughly chopped
• ½ cup chopped onion
• ¼ cup sweet pickle relish (I like half sweet and half dill)
• 2 tsp prepared mustard, like French's
• ¼ cup chopped celery (or 1 tsp celery seed)
• ¾ cup mayonnaise
• Sea salt and pepper to taste, after mixing
You will need a large saucepan and a large bowl.
1. Place the potatoes in the saucepan; cover with cold water. Bring to boil; reduce heat; cook uncovered
until tender, usually no longer than 10 minutes. Check after 8 minutes, being careful not to
overcook. Drain; let sit in colander briefly then refrigerate placing a dish towel under the colander.*
2. Combine the eggs, onion, relish, mustard, celery and mayonnaise. Gently fold in the cooked potatoes;
taste then season. Refrigerate covered until needed.
• ¼ cup chopped red or green pepper adds another layer of flavor.
• Or ¼ cup of drained, chopped pimento pepper
• I like to gently fold in the potatoes to keep them from breaking apart.
• You can also use red or sweet onions.
*I don't rinse the potatoes after cookingto preserve the nutrients.
best Southern potato salad, best potato salad