Easy One Pot Beans and Rice
This has been a Southern staple for many years and there are many versions of it, depending on the area. Makes about 4 servings.
• 2 Tbsp olive oil
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1¾ cups chicken stock
• 1 tsp salt
• ½ tsp pepper
• 1 cup uncooked rice
• 1 can pinto beans (15.5-ounce), undrained (or your choice of canned beans)
• 1¼ tsp hot sauce (optional)
1. In a large pot with a tight-fitting lid, add the olive oil and onion; sautè until onions are slightly tender,
2. Add the stock, cover and bring just to a boil. Then add the salt, pepper, rice and beans. Gently stir to
3. Turn the heat to the lowest setting, then simmer, without lifting lid, for about 20 minutes. Gently fluff
• Add ¼ cup diced celery with the onion, sautè. then add ½ cup cooked, chopped chicken with the rice and beans.
• Sautè ½ cup diced green pepper with the onion and add a can of diced tomatoes (drained) with the rice and beans.
• If you are a pork lover, add ½ cup chopped cooked pork, ham or bacon.
• Adding black-eyed peas with the pork makes a version of Hoppin' John.
• A side of collard greens and a pan of cornbread will make it a truly Southern meal.
rice and beans