Easy Broccoli Salad
4 to 6 servings
I have made many versions of broccoli salad over the years. This, by far, is one of the least time-consuming, with minimal ingredients and the dressing couldn't be simpler. After blanching*, immerse the broccoli in ice water to stop cooking. Makes 4 generous servings.
• 4 cups broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces (2 heads), blanched for 30 seconds
• ¼ cup red onion, diced
• ½ cup dried cranberries (or pomegranate seeds)
• ¼ cup cooked, crumbled bacon
• ¼ cup sunflower (or pumpkin) seeds
• ½ cup shredded cheese (I prefer sharp cheddar)
• ½ cup mayonnaise
• 1¼ Tbsp cider vinegar
• 1½ Tbsp sugar
• Dash of salt and pepper (to taste after mixing)
1. Lightly toss salad ingredients in a medium bowl.
2. In a smaller bowl, whisk dressing ingredients until well combined. (I use my immersion blender)
3. Pour dressing over salad and toss.
4. Refrigerate for at least an hour for best flavor. Toss again right before serving.
*To blanch, drop broccoli pieces into boiling water for 30 seconds; immediately scoop out and place in a bowl of ice water; drain on clean dish towel.
• I have used chopped toasted walnuts in place of seeds, so good.
• Replace half of the broccoli with cauliflower; blanch per instructions.
• Add sliced apple pieces (1 apple) right before serving to add more flavor and crunch.
• For a change, use sweet onion slices.
• Store leftovers in an airtight container.
broccoli salad, best broccoli salad, simple broccoli salad