Easy Pickled Slaw
Anytime a recipe says pickled, it usually means heating the liquid or dressing and pouring it over the rest of the ingredients. This slaw recipe is light and refreshing and does not require heating. A great addition to any meal and perfect for family reunions and church suppers.
• 1 medium head cabbage, in thin shreds (you can use a combination of red and white cabbage)
• ½ cup finely thinly grated carrots (optional)
• ½ medium onion (red or white), then thinly sliced
• 3 Tbsp white sugar
• ½ English cucumber, thinly sliced (optional)
• ½ cup vinegar (I like rice vinegar)
• ½ tsp kosher or sea salt
• 2 tsp celery seed
• ¼ tsp black pepper
1. In a large bowl, mix the cabbage, carrots, onion and cucumber.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, salt, celery seed and pepper.
3. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to coat; refrigerate before using.
• Thin slices of apple will give an added layer of flavor. Great with pork dishes.
• Replace sliced onion with sliced spring onions to add additional color and flavor.
• Leave out the cucumbers if using on sandwiches, hot dogs, etc.
pickled slaw, slaw