6 to 8 servings
Lemon Slice Pie
This is truly an old recipe. My grandmother would use her "slicer" and cut the lemons almost paper thin. My
dad had made the slicer for her by using a piece of wood and a modified hacksaw blade with screws and
washers to adjust the thickness. I have yet to find anything that can slice that thin.
• 1 pie crust (about 9 inches)
• 1 egg yolk, beaten
• 2 large lemons, thinly sliced, remove seeds
• 2 cups sugar
• 4 large eggs, beaten well
Preheat oven to 375°F. Place oven rack in middle of oven.
1. Brush the entire pie crust with the beaten egg yolk; place onbaking sheet; bake about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool.
2. In a large bowl place layers of lemon slices and sugar; let
sit for at least 2 hours.
3. Add beaten eggs to lemon mixure; mix gently; spoon into crust arranging lemon slices as you go until you have even layers.
4. Place pie on baking sheet; bake 30 minutes; cool for at least 2 hours before serving. Store in refrigerator.
• I have made tiny tarts using this recipe and mini muffin tins.
I cut the lemon slices into quarters.