Everyman's Fried Chicken
This is one of the simplest recipes out there and it is also one of the most popular. It is a true
Southern classic that has been shared numerous times. It does need time to soak in the not-
so-secret liquid, buttermilk! Doing so will lead you to tender, delicious chicken.
This recipe works great when just doing wings too!
What I like about this recipe is the coating; it's not thick so you know the skin is crispy.
• 1 whole chicken, 3 to 4 lbs, cut into pieces close to the same size*
• 1 tsp sea salt
• 1 tsp blackpepper
• 2 cups buttermilk
• Vegetable oil for frying, I use peanut oil
• Self-rising flour (start with ¾ cup, it will take more)
You will need a large deep skillet, sheet pan lined with several layers of paper towels and a
sheet pan with a rack.
1. Wash the chicken and pat dry; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the chicken in a large zip-top bag
and pour in the buttermilk; seal and chill for 3 hours.
2. Pour oil to a depth of 1½-inches in a the skillet; preheat it to 365°F. Heat oven to warm.
3. Remove pieces from buttermilk and dredge in flour. Then in small batches:
• Add chicken, cook covered 6 minutes**
• Uncover, cook for 9 minutes
• Turn chicken, cover and cook 6 minutes
• Uncover, cook for 6 to 9 minutes, turning for last 3 minutes to brown evenly***
to stay warm
4. Drain each batch on paper towels; then transfer to oven rack to keep warm while the other batches
*Pieces fry more evenly when they are the same size.
**Smaller pieces (like wings) require less time.
***You want a medium golden bown color.
• You can add ½ tsp paprika, ½ tsp onion powder or ½ tsp garlic salt
• Cayenne papper, ¼ tsp, will add some heat
• I like to add up to 1 tsp poultry seasoning plus ½ tsp paprika
In a small saucepan, combine ¼ cup butter, ¼ cup red pepper sauce, ¼ tsp garlic salt and a dash of black pepper.
Bring to boil; lower heat to medium-high and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Butter should be melted and mixture
thoroughly blended. Toss wings with mixture until totally covered.
best fried chicken, fried chicken wings, simple fried chicken