Oven Roasted Tomatoes
This recipe takes a little more time to make, but it is worth it! The flavor of fresh tomatoes that have been roasted at their peak of flavor is wonderful! They are not just good in sauces, but on sandwiches, appetizers and they freeze beautifully.
• 5 lbs plum tomatoes
• ¼ cup good olive oil
• 1½ Tbsp Italian seasoning
• 2½ tsp salt
• Preheat oven to 325°F. 2 sheet pans ( covered with foil)
then racks, all coated with cooking spray
1. Wash tomatoes; remove cores; slice into ½-inch slices.
2. Place in prepared pans (not touching); drizzle with the olive oil; sprinkle with salt and spices; bake, uncovered at 325°F for 3 to 4 hours. Start checking at 2½ hours: they should be shriveled and the edges are dark brown (but not burnt).
3. Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes.
4. Store in refrigerator up to one week in airtight container; in airtight freezer container up to 3 months or eat while warm. Yum!
• For a quick appetizer, sprinkle slices with shredded mozzarella and place under broiler until golden; top
with slices of ripe olives.
• Top with slice(s) of pepperoni, shredded cheese and
broil until golden.
roasted tomatoes, roma tomatoes
Broiled Roma Tomatoes with Mozzarella
Super easy recipe that you will want to make again and again. It makes a quick and easy
appetizer that can be served warm or room temperature.
• Roma tomatoes (allow 1 tomato per person)
• Mozzarella cheese (I buy the roll, easier to slice)
• Sea salt
• Italian herbs
• Fresh basil
You will need foil covered baking sheet(s). The cheese will melt over the sides of the tomatoes so
place them about 1½-inches apart. I usually can get about 24 halves on a full size sheet pan.
Place the rack in the middle of the oven and turn to broil.
1. Cut out the stem end of the tomatoes and slice in half. Place on the prepared baking sheet(s).
If some of the tomato halves don't sit level, you can add pieces of foil underneath if necessary.
2. Sprinkle the haves with a pinch of sea salt and a little Italian seasoning. Top each half with ¼-inch slices
of mozzarella cheese*.
3. Place the pan in the oven and watch carefully until cheese is bubbly with brown patches; remove from
oven and place on serving platter. Sprinkle with chopped or sliced basil.
*The cheese will spread so avoid thicker slices.
roma appetizers, broiled appetizers, tomato appetizers